Child Abuse Investigation Team of Northwest Connecticut (CAIT)
CHH Center for Youth and Families
50 Litchfield Street
Torrington, CT 06790
Our Child Abuse Investigation Team at Charlotte Hungerford in CT, or CAIT NWCT is compromised of a team of community professionals that are responsible for providing child abuse services and support to children and families who have been victims of sexual and physical abuse. The team of local agency representatives meets twice a month to discuss individual cases, identify family needs, work cooperatively to improve the investigation and prosecution of cases and to better protect victims and their families from further trauma.
CAIT Team Goals:
- Ensure that appropriate child abuse services and safety measures are taken to protect the child.
- Reduce the additional trauma of victimization for the child and the family.
- Minimize the number of interviews/contacts that the child will have during the investigation process and maximize child abuse support.
- Coordinate medical and mental health services available to the child and family.
- Coordinate and track the investigation process in hopes of increasing the likelihood of successful prosecution.
- Provide continued services to the child and family.
- Provide training to professionals and the community to increase the understanding and prevention of child physical/sexual abuse.
Multidisciplinary CAIT Team Members:
- Department of Children and Families Case Worker
- Law Enforcement Detective or Investigator
- Forensic Interviewer
- District Attorney/Prosecutor
- Victim Advocate
- Juvenile Courts
- Trauma-Focused Clinician
- Team Coordinator
Community Education and Prevention Programs
The Child Abuse Investigation Team (CAIT NW) at Charlotte Hungerford Hospital in CT is charged with providing child abuse services such as community education and prevention activities for child abuse support through out the Northwest corner. We provide training opportunities in the area of mandated reporting, minimal facts (both First Responders for DCF investigators and Law Enforcement Personnel and Discovers for DCF treatment workers, front line child care staff, school personnel and medical providers), and child physical and sexual abuse prevention and support.
To schedule training or to call with questions regarding the Child Abuse Investigation Team (CAIT) program please contact the Charlotte Hungerford Hospital CAIT NW Team Coordinator at 860-489-3391.