Ground Floor, Main Building
Outpatient Reservation Desk
8:00am – 4:00pm
Financial Assistance Line
The Charlotte Hungerford Hospital is committed to providing quality health care services to everyone, regardless of financial need.
- In Person: You may pay your hospital bill in-person with a cashier at the Hospital’s Ground Floor Outpatient reservations desk.
- By Telephone: You may pay your hospital bill by telephone with a credit card by calling (860) 482-1830
- Online: You may pay your hospital bill online Click here.
Patients with limited or no health insurance, or those on a fixed income, are encouraged to speak with a financial counselor who can provide information on state and federal programs available to fund health care services.
Call the Financial Assistance Line at (860) 496-6384. For printed forms and more information – visit the Hartford HealthCare Financial Assistance page – Click here
Please bring printed forms with you to meet with hospital representatives who can assist you in setting up payment arrangements on open balances.
Cost & Quality
If you have an upcoming procedure or diagnostic service that has been scheduled at one of our hospitals, you may request further information about our cost and quality. An estimate of what the allowable amount is for your scheduled service can be provided to you within 3 business days. Please call a CHH Financial Counselor for assistance at 860-482-1830.
Charlotte Hungerford Hospital is pleased to partner with ClearBalance® financial services to offer user-friendly repayment options for patient medical bills. If you need a little flexibility and time to address existing and past medical bills, we may have a solution for you.
We offer low monthly payment options:
- Interest free
- No annual fees or prepayment penalties
- Use of the ClearBalance service does not impact your credit
- Making a payment is simple – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pay by check, debit or credit card, via mail, phone or online at www.myclearbalance.com.
To qualify for the ClearBalance payment options:
- No written application required
- Your medical bills into a single, easily understood, monthly statement.
- We keep the family’s medical bills simple – it is easy to add balances owed by your spouse and dependents.
- Have a question about your statement? The ClearBalance multilingual, patient friendly, customer service team is here to serve you.
ClearBalance® is the leading provider of consumer-friendly patient loan programs to U.S. hospitals and health systems. Based in San Diego, ClearBalance has served 4 million patient accounts at hundreds of healthcare organizations nationwide since 1992. For more information visit www.myclearbalance.com
For more information on payment plans call (860) 482-1830.
Processing your bill
A Charlotte Hungerford Hospital employee may contact you prior to your hospital service needs to review your current insurance coverage, the projected cost of the services and the expected amount for which you will be personally responsible.
When appropriate, you may be asked to pay for the delivery of services prior to or while you are at the hospital. This includes deductibles and/or co-pay amounts. An estimate will be provided, however this estimate may be subject to change depending on services.
Understanding your medical service charges
The medical services provided to you at the Charlotte Hungerford Hospital (CHH) are billed separately in some cases. This is now commonplace in hospitals where there are contracted service providers. As such, please be advised that you will receive separate billing statements for any Hospital, Emergency, Radiology, and Anesthesia, and Hospitalist services provided to you.
- For care it provides, Charlotte Hungerford Hospital issues a bill and submits it to the insured patient’s insurance carrier for possible payment to cover the costs of maintaining its staff, facility, medical equipment, and supplies.
- For care you receive in the CHH Emergency Department, you will receive a separate bill from NWCT Emergency Medicine, P.C. This is a group of Emergency Physicians and professionals who provide care in the Emergency Department in partnership with CHH. This hospital-based group maintains a separate billing system and issues separate billing statements.
- If you require radiology procedures and tests (x-ray, CT scan, ultrasound, etc.), you will receive a separate bill from Torrington Radiologists. This practice reads and interprets these tests for CHH. This hospital-based group maintains a separate billing system and issues separate billing statements.
- If you require a procedure or surgery that requires anesthesia, you will receive a separate bill from Anesthesia Associates.
- If you receive care from a Hospitalist while at CHH, you will also receive a separate bill from St. Francis Medical Group Hospitalist Service. This is a group of physicians who provide inpatient hospitalist care in partnership with CHH. This group maintains a separate billing system and issues separate billing statements.
The amount that you will have to pay will depend on the professional medical services that are actually provided to you.
Your financial responsibility will depend on your insurance company’s plan design and contract with CHH.
If you have questions about a bill you receive, please contact the appropriate service provider:
Charlotte Hungerford Hospital – 860-482-1830
NWCT Emergency Medicine, PC – 1-800-701-0227
Torrington Radiologists – 1-800-854-0397
Anesthesia Associates – 1-800-222-1442
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
How is my bill processed?
If you have insurance coverage, the hospital will bill your insurance carrier after you have received healthcare services. As a convenience to you, The Hospital will not send you billing statements until your insurance company has processed your claim and there is a balance due. The balance due may include co-pays, deductibles and/or non-covered charges.
What if there is a problem with my insurance?
You will be contacted if the hospital is unable to receive payment from your insurance company. You might also be asked to provide further information to resolve the issue. If you feel there has been an error in the processing of your claim, contact the Billing Department immediately at 860-482-1830, or your insurance carrier.
What if I do not have insurance?
If you do not have insurance, a bill will be sent directly to you after service is complete or you have been discharged from the hospital. The hospital offers uninsured patients a 20% discount off your bill.
What if I cannot pay my bill “in full”?
If you are unable to pay the entire amount shown on your bill, please call the Patient Financial Services Department at the phone number on your bill. At that time, we can assist you with a payment plan. We also offer a financial assistance program.
What are the Financial Assistance Programs?
These programs are designed to assist patients who are unable to pay their bill. The programs, depending upon your financial circumstances, may result in your having no obligation to pay for services provided, or may result in a discount of the charges billed to you.
Who is eligible for Patient Financial Assistance programs at Charlotte?
Depending upon your financial circumstances, you may be asked to provide financial information regarding your income. Your financial assets and liabilities may also be considered when determining your ability to pay. The hospital uses income limits issued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to determine a person’s eligibility for financial assistance. For more information about our Patient Financial Assistance Program, please call a Patient Financial Advocate at 860-496-6384.
Is there any way I can receive one bill for all of my hospital services?
Because of insurance requirements, we are unable to provide one bill and are required to bill each visit separately.
Am I responsible for my bill while I am applying for assistance
Yes, you are responsible for your bill until eligibility has been determined.
How will I know how much I owe if I have to go to the Emergency Department?
Patient Financial Advocates or Registration staff will be available in the Emergency Department to provide financial counseling for Emergency Department patients.
Other bills you may receive…
Depending on the services provided, you may receive other bills. If you had certain tests or procedures, you may receive a separate bill from doctors who are not employees of The Charlotte Hungerford Hospital, such as anesthesiology, emergency medicine physician, radiology, pathology and cardiology. If you have questions concerning these separate bills, please contact the phone number listed on that bill.